Theory of Fundamental Interactions
An on-site course
by Bohdan Grządkowski
the first class on October 6th
Institute of Theoretical Physics
Faculty of Physics
University of Warsaw
phone: +48 22 5532848
Winter semester 2021/22
lectures: Wednesday 14:15-16:00, room 2.03
class: Thursday 17:15-19:00, room 2.07
LHC: Higgs boson decaying to two photons (Copyright by CERN).
The course grading:
final written and oral exam,
material for the exam limited exclusively to the lecture notes posted below,
the final grade is based on results obtained from solutions of homework problems, the mid-term test, written exam and oral exam entering with the same weight.
Office hours: Wednesdays 4:30 p.m.
Middle-term test: December 20th, 2021, 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m., classroom 1.03
written: February 1st 2022, 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m., classroom B2.38
oral: February 2nd 2022, 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m., 3:00 p.m. - 6 p.m., classroom 2.22
written: February 22nd 2022, 10:00 a.m. - 1 p.m., classroom 2.22
oral: February 23rd 2022, 10:00 a.m. - 1 p.m., classroom 2.23
M. Maggiore, "A Modern Introduction to Quantum Field Theory"
Ta-Pei Cheng and Ling-Fong Li, "Gauge theory of elementary particle physics"
S. Weinberg, "The Quantum Theory of Fields", vol 1
F. Mandl, G. Show, "Quantum Field Theory"
- notes 1a
- notes 1b
- notes 1c
- The Goldstone model and the Higgs mechanism
- The Goldstone Theorem
- Quantization of a free scalar field
- Quantization of a free U(1) gauge field
- Quantization of a free fermion field
- The scattering matrix
- Cross sections and decay rates
- The Feynman rules
- The Standard Model
- Homework problems 1
- Homework problems 2
- Homework problems 2a
- Homework problems 3
- all solutions must be contained within one pdf file of volume not exceeding 6 MB,
- one page of the uploaded/sent file may contain only one A4 page of the paper solution,
- all pages must have visible page numbers,
- handwriting must be clear and readable.
- Training problems
Questions for the oral exam:
- Questions for the oral exam
© 2013 by Bohdan
Grządkowski. All copyrights reserved for all original material
presented in this course through any medium, including lecture or